While on vacation you will experience a lot of new things and your body needs to adjust to new envoirments. This can sometimes leed up to some problems. Health problems.. Don’t freak out if this happens. I’m here to help you stay healthy so you can enjoy your well deserved vacation!
Danger Number 1: SUN
On vacation you wanna get tanned. Now think about this for a moment.. Do you wanna look like this when your old?..
Ofcourse, I also want a nice glowy skin but I don’t want cancer so this is what I do:
- First up. Let your body get used to the sun. This doesn’t mean you should avoid the sun on your first days on vacation. You can also lay in your garden or balcony at home 30 minutes a day before your vacation. This way you build up the tan avoiding sunburn.
- Avoid the sun between 12 and 3 pm. Don’t go baking at this time. Go to the beach early and have a little indoor shopping or lunch break at 12. Go back to the beach at 3 and enjoy until the sun goes down.
- Wearing sunglasses isn’t just for looking like a diva. It is extremely important to avoid eye damage and not getting wrinkles.
- Wear a hat or bandana against heat stroke
- Go into the water to cool off. In the water you will also get tanner. But stay aware!
- And ofcourse apply sunscreen every hour. Don’t forget your lips, hair, ears, nose and tan lines!
But what to do if you do get sunburn?!
- Moisturize! Apply aloe vera! Put it in the fridge for extra coolness.
- Apply moisturize every time you go to bed and the red will go away in no time!
- Take an aspirin. You will sleep much better.
- Avoid the sun. Of course you want to lay by the pool again. But cover yourself up. Wear a nice kaftan. Lay in the shade.
Danger number 2: FOOD
- Eat yogurt for breakfast. Yogurt is known for its benefits for your immune system as well as good for your digestive systeem. Especially greek yogurt which as 0% fat!
- Eat white bread before you enter any boat or car to avoid motion sickness. Bread will soak up your stomach acid.
- Eat spices like garlic, cinnamon and chilis. The best spices for your immune systeem.
- The most important! Drink lots of water!! Especially if your going somewhere hot! At least 8 glasses a day! Water cures all kinds of problems such as hangover or keep you feeling full for longer.
- Have vitamine C. Found in citrus fruits.
- Drink green tea. I’ve heard that green tea can avoid food poisoning!
- Need help with sleeping? Eat cherries! Cherries have natural melatonin. Melatonin is what makes your sleep also found in sleeping pills. But cherries have it to!
- Chew gum on the plane to pop your ears. A famous trick.
- Feeling sick? Drink flat cola and it will go away like snow in the sun!
Tips to avoid it.
- Wash your hands before eating.
- Wash your food before prepping or eating it.
- Sambal kills bacteria
- Do not eat raw food.
- Don’t drink the water. Buy one big jerry can of water on first day and fill your small bottle
Here is a map that shows where it is safe to drink the water but always be aware!
Most of the times the water fountains on the streets are safe to drink. Some even have little stories that if you drink from a fountain you will find love and such.. Fill your plastic bottle with this water.
- Always ask for no ice cubes in your drinks. Ice is water that melts.. See above.
- Eat where the locals eat. Look for crowded places and avoid any place that has pictures of food in front on a menu. Go into sights streets. If the locals can eat it. You can eat it. The locals know how to prepare their local dishes. They don’t know how to prepare pizza.. You can get sick eating pizza in foreign countries.
- Inspect the place on hygiene. Are there any flies on food?, people wearing gloves? etc..
- Only have cold drinks.
This one time in Tunesia, me, my mom and friends of use were just strolling on the beach and there was this (seems to be nice) guy approaching as and offering us Coca Cola. We thought it was a nice treat because we were walking in the heat for a while. He totally ripped us of offering warm cola and almost run away stealing our money. Be aware
- Drive safe!
- Don’t do things you wouldn’t do at home!
- Be aware!
- Listen to the rules!
- Check the safety!
- Always trust your gut!
The pills I always take with me. No matter what!
- Aspirin for pain relief
- Cough drops with honey
- Ginger candy. Ginger is good for an upset stomach
- Diarrea pills
- Cranberry. Cranberry cures bladder infection. I had an bladder infection way to many times on holidays. Drink the juice for more efficiency.
- Antibiotics. Ask your doctor to give you some before you go travel. Comes in handy.
- Airborne vitamine powder to put in water.
- Tums berries
- Beano. Anti gas and bloating. For if you ever feel uncomfortable, if you know what i mean 😉
- Dextro for when your about to pass out and need some sugar.
FIRST AID KIT
Here’s what I bring in my First Aid Kit:
- Little sissors
- Nail clippers
- Elastic bandage
- Cotton balls
- Vaseline. Apply before blisters & treat blisters. Also a great tip; Apply vaseline inside your nose to prevent your nose to dry out and causing a nose bleed!
- Alcohol spray. Works as a sterilizer, nail polish remover or bed bug spray!
- Essential oils; Lemon the detox oil, Peppermint the cooling oil, Lavender the calming oil.
- Hand sanitizer
- Safety pins
- Survival blanket
- Coconut oil. Moisturizes. Apply on cuts and wounds
- Eye drops. I always have dry eyes.
- Safety pins
Make sure you stay sanitized on your travels.
- Airplane seat
- Hotel nobs
- Wash your hands
- Don’t go bare feet
- Ask for clean bedding on your bed on the first day. They clean the bedding in a hotel but they almost never clean the blankets itself!
You wanna freshen up after a 10+ hour plane ride!
- Have baby wipes on hand
- Apply deodorant. Your neighbors will thank you!
- Brush your teeth after landing in the bathroom.
- Have feminine wipes and panty liners..
Lastly here’s how to deal with annoying bugs!
- There is a website called bed bug registy that lets you check if your hotel has bedbugs!
- Place your luggage in bathroom or luggage rack. They don’t like tile.. Never place your luggage on your bed! The wheels touch the dirty ground! That’s nasty!
- Inspect your room.
They look like this:
If you find bedbugs always ask for another room and always apply a thick coat of alcoholic spray before you enter the bed!
- Have DEET spray on hand.
- Apply lotion if it itches.
- Sleep in a mosquito net if the mosquitos are dangerous!
- Light a citronella candle.
My last great tip!
A small towel at hotel + ice water = ice pack.
Small towel + hot water in microwave = hot pack
That’s it! I really hope this helped you out!
Please share if you have more health tips!
I am absolutely not an expect or a doctor. These are just some tips I learned in experience or heard about..!
Trust your gut, never let google be your doctor, and always have Health Insurance!
Until next time,